2018 HAS SEEN the Greymouth Photography club turn 65,
but it’s far from ready for retirement! While earlier camera clubs in the Westland area eventually folded,
the Greymouth Photography Club has lasted the distance and is now the oldest camera club on the West Coast – with the Buller Camera Club not far behind at three years younger.
The club was established in February 1953 following years of informal meetings by a group of film enthusiasts that included Len Schaef, George Hansen and Jock Gifford.
They met in a prefab at the Greymouth High School before later moving to Rathbun’s Hall on the corner of High and Marlborough Streets.
The first general meeting was held on 18 February 1953 with about 12 members present.
The rules of the club, having been drawn up by Marriot Sheard, were accepted and the club’s name decided.
At the second general meeting, held on 11th March 1953,
Laurie Inkster was appointed Patron and club officers elected were President,
Bertie Caulton; Vice Presidents, Len Schaef (representing the cine enthusiasts) ลาวสามัคคี
and Mr W Watson (representing the still camera enthusiasts); Secretary/Treasurer, Mr J C Faithfull; Committee,
Mr J Quinn and Marriot Sheard (cine), Mr W A Sara and Mr A Gray (still). Because of the founding members’ interest in both film
and still photography, the name of the club was originally the Greymouth Cine and Camera Club.
In February 1970, with a decreasing interest in film-making, Cine was dropped from the name and the club became known as the Greymouth Camera Club.
That same year the club cancelled its affiliation to the Federation of New Zealand Amateur Cine Societies, to which it had been linked since 1954.
At the 2007 Annual General Meeting, to put more emphasis on the activity (photography
For more information: ลาวสามัคคี